Iran will enter the World Cup for the third time in a row with the goal of advancing past the group stage for the first time.
As the World Cup moves to the Middle East for the first time, Carlos Queiroz’s team will have one of the shortest travel times from competing nations.
Head coach Carlos Queiroz has released the 2022 FIFA World Cup’s final roster. Despite the 26-man cap on World Cup rosters, Queiroz has chosen to only bring 25 players, including four goalkeepers, to the competition.
Despite a calf issue, they listed injured attacker Sardar Azmoun on the roster. Prior to the roster announcement, there were rumors that Queiroz was under pressure to omit players like Azmoun who had publicly supported the country’s recent protests; however, if those reports are accurate, it is evident that Queiroz resisted the pressure.
Iran World Cup 2022 Squad, Captain, and Coach
- Goalkeepers: Alireza Beiranvand, Payam Niazmand, Amir Abedzadeh, Hossein Hosseini
- Defenders: Sadegh Moharranmi, Ehsan Hajsafi, Shojae khalilzadesh, Milad Mohammadi Morteza Pouraliganji, Majid Hosseini, Abolfazl Jalali, Ramin Rezaeian, Hossein Kanaani
- Midfielders: Saeid Ezatolahi, Vahid Amiri, Saman Ghoddos, Ahmad Nourollahi, Ali Karimi, Rouzbeh Cheshmi
- Forwards: Alireza Jahanbakhsh, Mehdi Taremi, Karim Ansarifard, Mehdi Torabi, Ali Gholizadeh, Sardar Azmoun
- Captain: Ehsan Hajsafi
- Coach: Carlos Queiroz
Iran Star Players
1. Sardar Azmoun
The “Iranian Messi” is hoping to be healthy enough to play on Monday. He has a calf injury. He will put the England defense to a serious test, if healthy.
But It is debatable whether Azmoun, a Bayer Leverkusen player, should be on the team.
To express his thoughts about Mahsa Amini, the woman who passed away in police custody after being detained for refusing to wear the hijab, he ran the risk of facing the ire of autocratic Iran.
Azmoun made his national team debut for Iran in 2014 at the age of 19. He participated in the 2015, 2019, and 2018 FIFA World Cups as a regular member of Team Melli.
Azmoun is the second-most expensive Iranian player in history, behind Alireza Jahanbakhsh. He scored in a UEFA Champions League match as the youngest Iranian ever.
2. Mehdi Taremi
The four years Mehdi Taremi spent playing football in Portugal have transformed him from an unquestionable talent into one of Carlos Queiroz’s most effective weapons for the national team.
Before Russia 2018, Taremi became one of the most talked-about players in Iran, but up until that point he had turned down offers to move to Europe in order to remain much closer to his family.
Since moving to Portugal, the center-forward has excelled, first at Rio Ave and then for FC Porto, proving to be a real menace for opposing defenses across the entire nation as well as across the entire continent in the Champions League.
Iran World Cup 2022 Possible Lineup
- Goalkeepers: Alireza Beiranvand
- Defenders: Majid Hosseini, Sadegh Moharranmi, Milad Mohammadi, Ehsan Hajsafi
- Midfielders: Vahid Amiri, Saman Ghoddos, Ahmad Nourollahi
- Forward: Mehdi Taremi, Karim Ansarifard, Sardar Azmoun
Thank you for reading it. Leave us a comment if you liked it.
Have a good day ahead